Monday, February 16, 2015

Favorite winter nail colors Vol. 1


Ever since I discovered black nails could be chic back in my teen years, I've had a thing for dark shades on my nails for the winter. I don't use black on my nails anymore, but two of my favorite polishes are very dark blue and green, and people often mistake them for black. There's just something so classy about a dark, shiny manicure in the colder months.

I feel naked if I'm not wearing nail polish, so it's extremely rare that you'll find me without it. And right now, there's a 90 percent chance you'll find me wearing one of these colors. The darks are my tried and true favorites, and the white is a new one I just tried and (surprisingly) fell head over heels for. It seems like all the fashion bloggers are wearing white or some similar shade on their nails, so I decided to give it a try. I couldn't believe how much I liked it. It even caused me to go out and buy a new pinkish-white color (limo-scene by Essie).




Here's the rundown from left to right:

New York Color French White Tip is a paper-white shade (in case you couldn't tell by how well it blends in with the paper scrap ;). I bought it a while back to use for nail art, and it looked scarily like white out when I first put it on, but it actually lasts pretty well.

The really dark blue is Zoya Cynthia, and it's by far my favorite nail polish for my toes. I use it on my nails too, but it tends to stain my nails so I try to space it out with some other colors. I love the Zoya brand because it's long-lasting and super-shiny.

I bought the dark green Essie Stylenomics when I first started my blog, and even though it was darker than I expected, I actually love it now. It's about two shades from being actually black, but it's really glossy and chic.

The fourth shade is actually much prettier than it looks on the swatch. It's OPI Muir Muir on the Wall and it's like a dark, shimmery, iridescent purple. I like it on my toes when I'm feeling like I want a little more sparkle than the Zoya blue. (Bonus: it's on sale for less than $1 at Ulta!)

And last but not least, this Honk if You Love OPI (less than $2!) has been my favorite shade for a few years now. It's a dark plum purple and so flattering on different skin tones. It's dark but feminine, and it's perfect for the transition from fall to winter. I use this one on my toes a lot too, but I looove it on my fingers above all other colors. I'm almost halfway through the bottle, and I'm already dreading the day it runs out.

What colors do you like best for cold months? Are you into the darker shades or lighter hues? Share your favorite brands and shades in the comments!

Related: fall nail polish, and fall accessories

1 comment :

  1. I like darker polishes too because I always find that light colours make my hands look dirty. I don't know if it's my skin tone or imagination or what but I just can't shake the idea and it makes me so self conscious! I really like that dark plum OPI one!

    x Kathryn
    Through the Thicket

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

 
Back to Top