Wednesday, November 5, 2014

9 movies for a rainy (or sick) day


Rain seemed to be the theme of 2014 here in Central Iowa for a while. And even though it's been relatively dry for the last week or so, it's still cloudy and chilly — aka, Perfect Movie Marathon Weather.

Plus, I've been sick for the last week so laying on the couch watching movies in my pajamas sounds like heaven to me, regardless of the weather. Here are my marathon picks, with a variety of genres for every taste.


Musicals:


Pitch Perfect. Sing along with the great music, laugh at the jokes and imagine how different your life might be if only you went to a college with a cappella groups as cool as these.
Burlesque. Great songs, beautiful people, sexy dancing and Cher. Plus, it's the motivation you need to hit the gym for the rest of the week — once the rain stops, of course.

Older rom-coms:


10 Things I Hate About You. This is the way I choose to remember Heath Ledger, and I can't help hoping someone will sing for me while running away from campus security on the bleachers. Some day.
My Best Friend's Wedding. You have the ex-lover and best friend of the groom faking an engagement to her gay publicist while she tries to sabotage the wedding. Julia Roberts knows how to make a good rom-com.

Comedies:


Neighbors. Zac Efron and Seth Rogan know how to make a comedy. The plot doesn't seem like stellar movie material, but these two can do anything.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall. So apparently this is one of the greats? I only just saw it for the first time recently, but it's definitely good for some laughs.

Classics:


Breakfast at Tiffany's. Holly Golightly is the classy version of the girl who loves to party. She's quirky and fabulous, and you know you want to be her.
The Great Gatsby. The new version, à la Leonardo DiCaprio. I love the modern hip hop twist on classic jazz, and I still just really want to party with Jay Gatsby.

Something different:


The Grand Budapest Hotel. This one's hard to describe; it's eccentric, fun and bizarre. If you haven't seen it, you should. You'll either love it or hate it, but either way, you probably won't be able to put your finger on why.

What are your go-to rainy/sick day movies?

(Images via here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here)

No comments :

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Back to Top