Monday, November 10, 2014

Pet names: yes or no?


I've always used pet names (like "baby" and "love") in relationships, and even with my friends (doll, girlie). But I got to thinking about it the other day, and the more I did the more I felt like using pet names sort of takes something away from that person. It's almost like they lose a sense of their individuality when we replace their real names with generic nicknames.

Of course, there's the argument that pet names are special between two people, and it adds another level of intimacy. (And to be clear, I do agree with that viewpoint and still like using them.) But doesn't it also feel intimate to hear your significant other whisper your name after "I love you"?

Since paying attention to it, I realized I almost never call Adam by his name when I'm talking to him. But I also noticed he does the same with me. Then the other day he sent me an email and started it with "Eleni," and my first thought was, "Oh my gosh, is he upset with me?" He wasn't actually upset; it was just so odd to see him write out my name when addressing me, because we do that so rarely. But I've been trying to use his name a little more in conversation, and it actually does feel kind of romantic.

What do you think? Do you use pet names with your S.O. or friends? I'd love to hear...

(Image via Ruffled)

1 comment :

What do you think?

 
Back to Top