Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Life updates: Surprise!



So. Yesterday I had bunion surgery. If you're thinking, "Isn't that only for old people?" you're not alone, because that's what I used to think, too. And just to clear it up: a bunion is not some nasty growth that looks like an extra toe or something, which is what my siblings like to say to make fun of me. By definition, a bunion is basically a painful swelling on the joint of the big toe, causing the bump that sticks out on the side of the foot. They're completely hereditary and no shoe will fix it; they just get worse every year. Fun stuff, right?

I've had these my whole life (and I'm learning that several people on both sides of my family have as well), but my right foot started bothering me pretty badly in November. It was difficult to wear shoes and I had to keep bandaids and creams on it just to tolerate them through the day. Finally, it came to the point where I could no longer wear even my loose tennis shoes comfortably so I went to a podiatrist. Then scheduled surgery immediately. Happy summer, right?! Haha. I won't go into surgery details, because some people have been grossed out by it, but I'll just summarize it by saying my foot is now home to two little titanium screws. (Cue "Titanium" being sung by Brittany Snow and Anna Kendrick.)

The good news: the surgery went great; my doctor said I have "bones like cement," which is apparently a good thing. I haven't been in much pain at all, and my family has been wonderful and taking care of my every need. The bad news: I'll be wearing a boot for about six weeks and using crutches for at least the first four. Sadly, those two things make it difficult to get around very well (especially since I live on the third floor) and I won't be doing any new outfit posts for a while :( But I have been preparing for this for a month, so I'll still be posting my other content normally!

I didn't tell most people about my surgery before it happened because I'm a fairly private person and I wanted to keep it quiet for as long as possible. But I wanted to share it on my blog because it's going to be a major part of my life for a while, and I want to be as transparent as I can with all of you who read misc•eleni•ous. Because we're all friends now and that means sharing surprise life updates! ;)

A couple things I've learned from the first day of post-surgery: two+ weeks is going to be a long time to spend on the couch — I'm already fantasizing about making trips to the kitchen and my bedroom. My parents are wonderful people who put up with all my pre-op nerves and post-op helplessness — my dad brought me an Oreo every time he got up without me even asking, and for that, I'll always be grateful. And I've also learned that apparently me being both happy and productive are a clear sign that I'm on drugs. So there's that...

I'll finish up by saying a huge thank you to all the people who I did tell and who gave me words of encouragement and support before the surgery, and to my mom, dad, sister and boyfriend for coming over and helping me afterward. You are all amazing people, and I'm very blessed to have you in my life.

xoxo,
E

3 comments :

  1. Eeek wishing you a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing; I didn't know what a bunion was. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carmen! Glad I could teach you a little something at least ;)
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're great, huh! Haha but thank you :)
    -E

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

 
Back to Top