Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Book review: 'Yes Please'



Add this to the list of books that took me way too long to start reading... Yes Please has been on my list since before it came out, and it was sitting in my bedroom for a couple months before I finally found the time to devote to it — even though it only took me a couple days to read.

It only took me the first two days of my post-surgery recovery to read Amy Poehler's first masterpiece (I say first because I'm fairly certain she'll publish another one some day, probably when she's adorably old). It's been a looong time since I've read a book that quickly, but Yes Please really flew by. It was consuming and easy to read, and I didn't want to put it down. Amy Poehler is an excellent writer, which is a surprise to no one. Yes Please was fun, lighthearted and full of quirky advice she's accumulated throughout the years.

Honestly, I'm having a tough time reviewing it, because it wasn't quite what I expected — though I still can't exactly put my finger on why. Amy was candid and honest, which I loved, and she was inconspicuously motivating. I think that might be what caught me most off guard. Amy makes me want to do everything and experience everything because it genuinely seems like she has. She's such a badass lady, you know? She hasn't taken free rides to the top; she worked her butt off to get where she is now, and there's no sign of slowing down. And I think that's something we could all use in our lives, both professionally and personally.

I think everyone could find something useful in Yes Please, so I'm putting it at the top of my list of recommendations. Oh, and in case you need the perfect snack pairing: lightly buttered popcorn and mini York Peppermint Patties are the perfect complement to this book ;)

Have you read Yes Please? What did you think about it? Let's discuss in the comments!

P.S. More book reviews: "#GIRLBOSS", 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette' and 'Reconstructing Amelia'

No comments :

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Back to Top