Thursday, July 23, 2015

Grilled chicken pita pockets



Ever since Adam bought this new cookbook, he's been doing most of the cooking when we have date nights in, but I thought it would be nice to give him a break and make him dinner for a change. I wanted to try something new, and when I stumbled across this post I had saved for new varieties of pita pockets, I was practically drooling. They are so simple to make, but they are absolutely delicious.








I took elements from a few of the recipes in The Kitchn's post and put them together to make a customized version that fit my tastes. With pitas, there's really no wrong way to do it. Adam added tomatoes to his and seared the onions, but I left mine raw because I like the flavor better. This meal was perfect for a summer night, because when it's warm outside I typically don't like to make hot recipes. Between the hot chicken, seared corn and cold veggies and guacamole, these pitas were just the right amount of warm and cool — and extremely fresh.

Ingredients: 

Pita pockets (I used whole wheat)
Frozen grilled chicken strips
Shredded lettuce
Guacamole (plain avocado spread would work too)
Provolone cheese
Corn
1/4 red onion, sliced

Directions:

Prep all of the ingredients first so they're all ready to be used once the chicken and corn are done. Bake or microwave desired amount of frozen chicken according to the instructions. At the same time, warm corn in a skillet with a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray. Spread guacamole inside pita and add desired ingredients.

You could also warm the pitas in the oven or microwave for a few seconds to soften them up — I had a little issue with one of mine tearing open, which makes for a still-tasty but much messier sandwich!

And there you have it...a super simple, delicious and perfect-for-summer meal. Oh, and the best part? They're all healthy ingredients, so you won't feel sluggish after eating it. You might even have room for dessert ;)

What are some of your favorite summertime recipes? 

P.S. Healthy fruit dip, the best pasta you'll ever make and 10-minute quesadillas

No comments :

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Back to Top