Thursday, January 7, 2016

book review: 'Leave Your Mark'

For anyone looking to change career paths or just find success in work, this book is for you.


I’ve been really inspired by real-life success stories of women in different industries lately (which you can read more about here), and that is exactly the reason I ordered this book by PR maven Aliza Licht. I don’t remember where I first heard about it, but I do remember immediately thinking I had to have it.

My only regret is not picking up Leave Your Mark sooner. Aliza tells the whole story of her career, from the days she studied to be a plastic surgeon to her time organizing the shoe closet at a fashion magazine and how she ended up being a pioneer of social media in the fashion industry. Aliza’s story is truly inspiring, because she earned a well-known and very respected name in fashion PR all by working her way up the chain — no fashion/public relations/marketing degree necessary. She decided what she really wanted out of life and made it happen.

I loved this book for several reasons, the first being that it felt like I was having a coffee date and soaking up all this wisdom from a personal mentor. It’s a book of advice, but it’s written in a casual tone that makes it feel like it was personalized to me. Every time I had a question about something, it seemed Aliza answered it in the next chapter. She gave real insight into a somewhat mysterious industry and shared personal experiences that seemed both recognizable and unbelievable. On top of that, the woman is a great writer.

Leave Your Mark is a book for every person looking to move forward in their career but not completely sure how to do it. Her words made me think long and hard about my job, where I want to be in a year and how I can find my own success. Leave Your Mark is full of wisdom that you can’t get in college courses, and it’s something I would recommend to every single student or aspiring employee. No matter how great your education is, Aliza’s book is filled with advice you can’t learn from a regular old textbook, and it should be required reading for anyone looking for a new job.

Seriously, I can’t praise this book enough. It was everything I needed to hear right now and more. It’s going to maintain a permanent spot near my desk so I can always have a guide to look back to when I need it. If you haven’t read it yet, GO BUY IT. And follow Aliza on Twitter, because she really is awesome.

Have you read Leave Your Mark yet? What did you think of it? I'd love to hear!

No comments :

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Back to Top